Monday, April 16, 2007

Joy is One Choice Away

Why is it that we prolong our true enjoyment of life until we "get the house, job, car, lifestyle" we think we want and deserve? Why is it we do not enjoy right here and now.....our every day lives....regardless of what we have or don't have around us?

I have friends who are so sad with the state of their lives....they think they have either done the wrong things, are in the wrong jobs, live in the wrong state, don't have the things in their lives that they think will make them happy......they are so close to true joy and they don't even realize it.

JOY is but one choice away. We must CHOOSE to find joy in our lives. JOY may be a very hard choice, but it is still one choice away. We CHOOSE to live a certain way. We CHOOSE to associate with certain people. We CHOOSE to perpetuate certain habits. We can also CHOOSE to find JOY in our lives and enjoy the very essence of being alive.

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago I had a choice. I could choose to think my life was over or I could choose to believe the rest of my life was just beginning. I could choose to overlook the pleasure of my 2 and 6 year olds because of the disease, or I could choose to cherish every moment with them and plan for their futures. I could choose to curl up in my bedrooom and ignore the world, or I could choose to embrace the very essence of being alive. My choice was to LIVE. My choice was to find JOY in my surroundings. My choice was to stive for a future.

No, chemotherapy is not fun. No, multiple surgeries is not fun. No, losing your hair is not fun. No, thinking that cancer could return at any moment is not fun. All of those things however are moments in time.....they do not define who we are and what we will become. I am not a cancer patient first....I am an individual first ..... just one who happened to have cancer. We cannot live our lives sucumbing to our fears......we must live our lives focused on keeping JOY front and center.

Where do you find your everyday JOY in your life? Have you made choices in your life to make JOY your focus? What does JOY mean to you?

Here is a challenge for you......the next time you are faced with an obstacle that makes you sad, mad, upset, remorseful, fearful......stop and ask yourself...."What is the one choice I could make in this situation that would turn it to a situation of joy?" It's not an impossible question. It's a question that can turn your life around.


Glenna Sanford
Speaker/Author/Life Power Coach
glenna@glennasanford.com

No comments: